my awesome friend lavine got us last minute tickets on ebay and we had what i can really only describe as by far the most amazing sports event experience of my life. watching my team play in the final four in our home state? unbelievable. this even beats the time we snuck an entire pollo campero fried chicken dinner for four (for the two of us) into the us open and gnawed on drumsticks and plantains while watching roger federer kick everyone's ass.
the game on saturday night was beyond description. the energy in ford field was amazing, 2/3 of the 72,000+ fans were there for the spartans and we were all loud as hell. i screamed so much that i lost my voice and got lightheaded. it was so much fun. monday was another story but at least we made it to the championship game!
my metro detroit food highlights of the weekend:
- lou's deli in southfield. get the counterman's treat: "Corned beef, Swiss cheese, cole slaw, Russian dressing on an onion roll." you can thank me in cash. i accept paypal.
- the breakfast club in farmington. get anything. it's all awesome. go for the tomatoes au gratin as a side. yummo! (sorry, that just slipped out. i promise it will never happen again.)
- vicente's cuban cuisine downtown. best cuban sandwich outside of miami (other than zingerman's although, to be fair, vicente's is more authentic). maduros that are so perfect you just marvel at them. amazing cuban food in detroit? yes my friends, the dream is now a reality.
- la marsa mediterranean cuisine in farmington hills. the detroit area la shish restaurants used to serve the best hummus i ever tasted in my life and chicken with this dipping sauce that was literally crack mixed with garlic. for years they were having problems with tax fraud and then rumor spread that they were sending money to terrorists in lebanon. thousands and thousands of metro detroit residents ignored the problems and continued to pour their hard earned dollars directly into funding al qaeda simply because they could not live without this hummus. then la shish got shut down in 2008 and the city mourned. but no worries, the food carries on at la marsa, which somehow got its hands on all the la shish recipes.
- jamaican curry, rice and peas, coleslaw, and lemon cake cooked by lavine and cindy and my mom's roast rosemary chicken. good luck finding that, suckas!
then i got back to work on wednesday and the shit was hitting the fan all over the place. hence no time to blog. i promise i will do better. don't leave me, readers!
8 comments:
Still here!
Was great seeing you at the Know last night.
If I EVER hear a "yummo" out of you again, you are dead to me.
Also, I'm super excited about La Marsa! I have been dreaming of that garlic-crack sauce and I am beyond thrilled that it still exists.
I'm so happy you were able to go to Ford Field!
And ya know, as long as you go on sneaking fried chicken into sporting events, and writing about it, I will always be a dedicated reader.
That certainly was an asswhup courtesty of UNC, wasn't it.
sounds like a fantastic weekend! and yes, no more yummos, please. although i have had to supress the urge several times myself.
I, too, have seen Roger Federer play at the U.S. Open.
vo: you too! we have to do lunch a arnold's sometime soon.
h: glad i can feed your crack addiction.
j: i promise to continue to sneak deep fried food items into any and all major sporting events i happen to attend.
k: ok
we: what year? we were there in 2005.
I saw Fed in 2001. And I have a whole long soap opera story about the whole thing...
I finally got a chance to go La Marsa today! You are totally right, everything is just as delicious it was when it was called La Shish. I had to change my pants after my first bite of that hummus!
Post a Comment