i have been dying to make this jicama fennel slaw recipe but there is a problem... i cannot find jicama. someone help me. where can i get it around here? i am sure they probably have it at jungle jim's but i don't feel like driving that far. i have tried fresh market, whole foods, bigg's and kroger in hyde park, and meijer in oakley, and none of them have it. leave a comment if you have any other ideas. thanks!
13 comments:
you are such an urban wuss. i will drive you the 20 miles to jungle jim's. it's literally not even a gallon of gas. people pay $1.50 to ride the bus one way. I think we can handle it.
seeing what i wrote in print looks more harsh than i meant it. still i will drive you. it's like a trip to the food amusement park!
I have seen it at Kroger Anderson Towne Center but can't swear they have it right now. Not too far from Hyde Park compared to Fairfield. Just call them before you go.
Only place I've seen it regularly is at Jungle Jim's, but I did get it once at Fresh Market Oakley. It's worth the drive-- there is nothing more refreshing than a simple jicama salad! I just had a nice one on Saturday and it got me in the mood to go buy some!
Have you tried Findlay Market?
I've seen it at the new Kroger on Warsaw. They serve a pretty big Hispanic population from there. Plus there's a Hispanic grocery right across the street, and they're sure to have it.
antonio: i am taking you up on that offer. yes i am that lazy and also i can't handle jungle jim's on my own.
others: thanks for the good ideas, i haven't tried any of those places. steve, i know right where that store is and i have totally been meaning to check it out.
Fresh Market is a good idea, and you could also try the Kroger Fresh Fare in Kenwood. It has a little section of unusual produce.
Pipkins market in Blue Ash on cooper road. I worked there for 7 years and they almost always had it. You can call first to be sure 791-3175. Plus, its an adorable independently-owned fruit and veggie market.
I've seen it at the HP Kroger before... if you can't find it there, I suggest a trip to CAM (Cincinnati Asia Market). I think it's in Springdale (it's a hop, skip and a jump away from Blue Ash). Village Crossing Shopping Center 10400 Reading Road,#145. Cincinnati, OH 45241
They have all of the unusual (not that I'm saying jicama is unusual, but we ARE in the Midwest...) produce, meats, etc.
I swear when we were in Kroger Fresh that Ms. 5chw4r7z picked up a huge jicama and said she wanted to make jicama salad again sometime.
Its been a few weeks though.
I know I've seen it at Meijer in Oakley. Even cut up in bite size pieces. But maybe it's not jicama season? Don't give up! You can find it!
update: i just went to meijer and checked there just for shits and giggles, and guess what? they had one jicama. so i got it. yay! thanks for all the ideas.
They carry jicama at the Food Hole in Rockwood, CAM (Cincinnati Asia Market) in Evendale - a must go to! I think they have it at Saigon Market at Findlay, too.
Post a Comment