some thoughts on food blogging in cincinnati... i initially started my blog when i lived in new york and i couldn't really get into it because there were so many other people already out there who said, or were saying, everything i could think of to say. when i started blogging here in cincinnati, i don't think there were any other dedicated food blogs so it was fun to be able to put my opinion out there. now, the landscape has totally changed... there are more food blogs than i can even count and i am bored with almost all of them.
in addition, it feels like there is some sort of unspoken competition to see who can review the new places the fastest (case in point: joe's diner, which received multiple reviews and criticisms before they even had an official opening) and who can get the most urbanspoon points. yawn. i think it's great to have a lot of variety in viewpoints, and it's awesome that other people get as excited about food as i do, but the way i feel is that if 30+ other people are out there giving their opinions about places, there's just nothing interesting that i am going to be able to add to the internet clamor. i like doing things that feel new and dynamic and food blogging just isn't that for me anymore.
in addition to becoming bored with food blogging, i am also feeling a need for increased privacy in my life. i have had a number of situations over the course of the past couple of years in which i have felt overexposed, both on this blog and in other places on the internet. this is due to having more than my fair share of internet stalkers and/or people who felt that they had a real connection with me just from reading some shit i wrote about food, and reacted negatively (and occasionally creepily) when i made it clear that i did not feel the same way about them.
add to that the equally creepy basket cases who start either spewing venom or plotting revenge the minute i say something they don't like (it's a FOOD BLOG people) and it's just become less and less fun to put my opinions out there.
anyway, that's the story on the lack of posts and i don't know if or when anything will change. more food bloggers are going to keep popping up and people are not going to get any less creepy. but who knows, maybe i will miss it at some point and come back. i am not good at predicting the future. at any rate, thanks for reading.
13 comments:
Nice run there, Liz. The food blogosphere will be less interesting/insane without you.
I hope for a hiatus only, Liz. Your writing has always been interesting no matter what topic you choose to share with us
Never say never.....
Have you gotten over to the new gyro joint new the Blue Wisp yet?
bummer, this is always my fave food blog. hope you come back
Totally understandable, and I wish you the best. And I hope the creeps don't completely turn you off of speaking your mind about food on here forever. You are a true bright spot here in an otherwise bloated "industry".
Totally understandable, and I wish you the best. And I hope the creeps don't completely turn you off of speaking your mind about food on here forever. You are a true bright spot here in an otherwise bloated "industry".
Perhaps you will find a new venture in a more anonymous manner. I find that food blogging just a hobby (for me, at least--and mine is more about cooking) and when it stops being fun, then I will stop. Cheers to your next move.
Liz, it's been fun - I always looked forward to what you had to say (and, equally, how you said it). I'm sorry that some readers presumed on your privacy, and I understand that you must protect that. I can't agree that other bloggers have bloated the field, because you're head and shoulders above most of them. Take care, and know that we'll miss you.
i have to agree with you...i think that at one point you had a great niche for this city - for a smaller city we have a FABULOUS dining scene - but it seems that food blogs are multiplying like rabbits. yours was the first that i read, and i think it's the best as well, mostly for the diversity of foods, restaurants, and price levels that you review.
if you find another blogging niche (and i sincerely hope that you do), please post a link on here so we know where we can find your new locale in the cybersphere. :)
Your Cadillac Ranch review was priceless. I always loved the name of your blog too. I feel you wrote genuine opinions and never sold out. You'll be missed.
"but the way i feel is that if 30+ other people are out there giving their opinions about places, there's just nothing interesting that i am going to be able to add to the internet clamor"
I disagree. The 30+ other people are the ones who need to shut it down. OK, maybe 26 or so.
Congrats on your new endeavor. I really enjoyed the food blog; your sense of humor made for a great read. You're a tough cookie who says things I wish I felt the freedom to say.
I agree with you about the state of food blogging in Cincinnati now vs. years ago. I started writing because we eat out so often; as with many folks, it became a hobby.
The Urbanspoon points thing is strange: I'm not sure many bloggers realize that the point system has nothing at all to do with their blog: the points are based on traffic from the most popular restaurants. There's no fancy algorithm behind it. So if you happen to review a high volume of restaurants that get oodles of Urbanspoon traffic, your point total will shoot up, albeit temporarily.
The unspoken competition has, in my opinion, gotten a little out of hand of late --and I feel like I've been caught up in it, feeling unspoken pressure to post as many reviews as possible to "catch up." I've been backing away from that as it sort of loses sight of the point.
Anyway, sorry to see you leave the food blogging realm, but happy you'll be doing something you enjoy.
Let me just say I hear you. I am Brian's friend Corey so I check in on your blog every now and then. I heard from another friend that you were "calling it quits" in a way.
I loved your good bye and the blog after that when you told everyone off. And to be honest, the telling people off is one of the only reasons I am still blogging. Well actually started back up again. I hadn't been blogging in over 5 months, but just started back up with 6 or 7 today! hahaha
I would never say I am foodie or a real food blogger, I just happen to write reviews about restaurants and take pictures of what I eat. My favorite thing is when people start talking way over my head about food and tell me my opinion is wrong.
My favorite post thus far was the Mayberry post when Josh the cook decided to comment on my post. To me it isn't fun unless people disagree. We are just human, we all have different tastes and enjoy different things, that is why we all are allowed to have our OWN OPINIONS.
But I salute you and hope you find something better and more fun to do. Tell Brian I say hello and we should go grab a bite to eat sometime and not take pictures or write about it :D
Corey
Post a Comment