Wednesday, February 06, 2008

the glass is half empty (unless there's beer in it)

emily just posted a comment on my last post, directing me to her own blog where she wrote about the hillary/barack issue.

emily says:
But now, on the eve of this Super Tuesday 2008, even with several months of campaigning left before the entire country casts its votes for the new President, we need to ask ourselves: can we look past everything that separates us to believe in the one person who might be able to unite us? I say, yes, we can.
i was thinking about that and why it bothered me. i think my problem is that i honestly do not believe that there is any one person that can unite us. emily says that the reason she is not such a fan of hillary is because she thinks hillary is not really a step forward, which is definitely something i have heard before. i guess i really just feel that barack is kind of a myth.

celia said this on my last post:
Anyone can promise anything to get elected but who know what they will actually DO about anything.
that is pretty much how i feel too. i am truly not inspired by barack. i think he has some great ideas and a very positive attitude, but i also think he is naive and i really do not believe that it is possible for ANY person to unite our country. if anyone could, maybe he is the one, but i don't believe anyone can.

this whole thought process is leaving me very concerned about my level of cynicism. i always thought of myself as a mostly positive and hopeful person. maybe i used to be but i don't think i am anymore. basically i think most people are assholes and/or idiots. the strange thing is that i do not feel depressed or unhappy about that. i just feel that is reality and i may as well accept it and just get on with my life. and i still feel a strong obligation to use my life to help other people as much as possible. i just don't expect that anyone else is necessarily going to feel that way.

one day i will get back to the food, i promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be more excited about Obama if I had any idea whatsoever about his ideas on policy. But I understand he's the "candidate of change," whatever that means.

Mary and I might go see him on Monday so I'll let you know if I'm converted.